Thursday, July 16, 2015

The Enemies Within

Last week my dear and loyal friend Camille gave me two unexpected gifts. The first was an investment in this World Trade Center stair climb enterprise I’ve recently embarked upon. (Note: I really dislike the term “donation”.  It sets up an ill hierarchy between the donor and donee. It also sidesteps the larger societal issue of injustice and inequality that gives rise to such great need in the first place.) The second was a book entitled The War of Art by Stephen Pressfield, who is perhaps best known for authoring The Legend of Bagger  Vance, which I’ve still yet to see in part because in the trailers Will Smith’s character looked like another magical negro, and I don’t go for that.  In any event, I want to say I’d heard of The War of Art before and probably have since it came out in 2002 and back then—unemployed aspiring writer that I was—I spent several hours a day in the assorted Barnes and Noble book stores scattered across Manhattan. Chances are I dismissed the book 1) because it had the scent of self-help and I couldn’t admit that I needed help of any kind, 2) because I aspired to write SERIOUS LITERATURE and didn’t see the value in reading anything that didn’t fit that mold.  

My how times have changed ...

Rather than run out and buy the paperback version of The War of Art which is what I normally do when someone I trust makes a recommendation, I opened an Audible account and downloaded the audio book. This, too, would have never happened in my previous life since I also spent the my youth thinking audio books were low brow and that the only true way to declare one’s seriousness as a reader to the world was by turning (and marking) the pages of an actual book, preferably paperback since those were far more pliant and could usually fold into a back pocket. Now that I’m entrenched in suburban life and spend upwards of a 90 minutes behind a wheel each day I’ve had to rethink my hardline position on the audio book. Not every book needs to be read in order to be read. 

I started the book while mowing the lawn. I figured it would be a nice background companion. Then Chapter 2 hit me with a stiff jab to the chin. Titled “Resistance— Defining the Enemy,” Pressfield lists the various conditions—Resistance’s “Greatest Hits” he calls them—that summon the enemy within into our lives. As I listened, I mentally checked off the boxes. By the time he was finished it occurred to me that at that moment (which is also this moment) I was facing not one, not two, not even three, but four life conditions that typically give rise to resistance, at least as defined by Pressfield.

1.       The launching of any venture of enterprise for profit or otherwise
a.       I’d just launched the stair climb fundraiser with an ambitious goal
2.       Any diet or health regiment
a.       I was training for the climb myself.
3.       Any act of political, ethical or moral courage including the decision for the better to change some pattern of conduct or thought in ourselves
a.       My native predisposition is doubt and distrust. In some ways it’s made me who I am. I don’t like relying on others. I prefer get it done myself. But in order to be successful as an organizational leader I have to learn to empower and trust others. This, I have come to realize in the past year, isn’t easy for me.
4.       The undertaking of any enterprise or endeavor whose aim is to help others.
a.       It is called the “Climb 4 Kids”

Once I had them down on a napkin, the first thing I asked myself why I was such a masochist. Why on earth would I summon so much resistance into my life at once?  What was I trying to prove? But then I asked myself what my greatest fear was. I knew the answer before I finished the sentence. I’d had nightmares about it already. No one shows up, I’m completely embarrassed and we lose a lot of money. Those are my biggest fears, the sources of my anxiety and stress. I lay awake at night thinking the worst is going to happen. It’s how I manage my expectations, keep from being disappointed, maintain a sense of order and control. It’s also what’s limited my success up to this point. Managing my expectations  may have protected me from a cataclysmic psychic disaster, but it may have also prevented me from achieving the bigger dreams and goals that, in my heart, I long for.   
 I digested The War of Art in a single marathon listening session. My main takeaway: If there’s any good reason to take on a big task then it’s because it is terrifying and will invoke resistance and will demand that you dig within while reaching outward. A year ago I decided to put my writing career on pause and take on an Executive Director role for what was essentially a startup nonprofit. I’d never been an ED before. Heck, I’d purposefully avoided any job titles/responsibilities that  would interfere with my writing. I went after this job because I got tired of writing about other people who’d taken big risks and were making a difference. I wanted that for myself.  I wanted to feel overwhelmed, over my head, out of my element. I haven’t been disappointed.  But this fundraiser scares me in a way I haven’t experienced before.  The task ahead feels so big and unmanageable. I know it’s partly because I’ve never done it before and partly because I have to have faith in the process and people, some of whom I’ve yet to even meet.  My biggest challenge is going to be fully experiencing the process, meaning getting so caught up that I miss the wonderful signs of encouragement and inspiration in the midst of all of the doubt and uncertainty. Camille’s recommendation was one of those signs. If I’d ignored her and allowed myself to wallow in the doubt, I would’ve picked up The War of Art. I would’ve read chapter 2. Wouldn’t have acquired a language with which to label the enemies within.  Wouldn’t have been reminded that I chose this path because I want to discover who I am and what I am a capable of. Beyond that, it’s a chance to ask for and receive help, which is always hard for me.  My challenge for today and every day forward is to hold on to that goodness, that poise, to not flinch or lose faith, to duel with resistance, to stay the course.  


No comments:

Post a Comment